Soundproofing a Bathroom
We believe there are several important reasons for soundproofing your bathroom. The sound of your shower running or your toilet flushing can be incredibly distracting for all of your guests. I have found this especially true when the bathroom is directly next to the dining room or living area.
We have handled this issue to some extent by finding numerous different ways to shower more quietly. Despite our efforts, the only real solution is to soundproof your bathroom. Although I have an appreciation for modern construction, it does not offer much regarding soundproofing.
There are many different ways to make certain the sounds from your bathroom do not escape to the other rooms. Some of our soundproofing tips are extremely cheap while others are more expensive options. I believe each individual must decide what will work best for their specific circumstances.
Most of the materials you will require are available through Amazon. Not only is this the easiest way to obtain what you need but I have also found their prices are excellent. Some of the best soundproofing materials for your bathroom include:
Soundproofing Your Bathroom Door
- Self-adhesive foam weatherstrip is ideal for windows and doors
- Seals out drafts and humidity
Install your weatherstripping all the way around your doorframe. This is an excellent way to absorb the sounds to decrease the noises coming from your bathroom. When you close you door, you will notice all of the gaps have been sealed.
The more expensive option involves replacing your bathroom door. Your best option is a much more solid door. We recommend professional installation. Hiring the right professionals is very important because you do not want to risk any damage being done to your home. You do have additional options for your bathroom door.
You will find some good advice at Amazon. You can always purchase a soundproof blanket. This type of blanket is constructed of materials to absorb sound.
There is a nice neutral option available at Amazon. You will need to hang the blanket on the back of your door. Use tacks to secure the blanket in place.
- PROFESSIONAL MOVING BLANKETS - US Cargo Control’s door covers are great for moving companies, furniture movers, and anyone looking for packing blankets to save chairs from damage during a move.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - these durable door covers are designed to be reused and are even machine washable. Machine wash the quilted furniture cover on gentle cycle and hang out to line dry only.
Although a soundproof blanket will work, I need you to understand it is not an attractive look. The blanket will most likely negatively impact the interior design of your bathroom. The best way to get around this is by purchasing a blanket in a neutral tone and making certain it has been correctly installed.
If you are also concerned with an echo in your bathroom, installing a soundproof blanket will help reduce the echo as well. You will find more options at Amazon.
Another good option is the door sweep. This is a mat constructed of sound-absorbing materials. Simply place the mat at the bottom of your door. Once you have closed your bathroom door, the gap at the bottom will have a better seal.
There is a good example at Amazon. We recommend this mat to help with your soundproofing quest.
- For residential or commercial use
- All-season protection against drafts, moisture, dust and insects
You can combine these methods to achieve the best possible results. We have seen the difference using both a soundproof blanket and a door sweep can make. This will prevent sound from escaping from the gap beneath your door or through the hollow core.
Soundproofing the Bathroom Walls
A resilient channel is extremely effective and tough. This is the reason it is one of the more expensive options. We also recommend using acoustic panels as another option for soundproofing your bathroom walls.
You will find acoustic panels in a wide variety of shapes, designs and colors. I enjoy trying different pattern combinations until I find something unique and decorative.
Soundproofing the Bathroom Floors
- Ultra easy DIY installation without the need for messy adhesive or expensive installers
- Offers exceptional UV and water resistance, making them great outdoor floors for a balcony or a patio
I find the look appealing and the price ideal. If you have children, you may be concerned the mats may not remain in place. You can eliminate any worries by using sticky mats.
This type of mat will stick to your bathroom floor to prevent any slipping. Another option is purchasing mats with a self-adhesive.
Soundproofing the Toilet Flush
According to Soundproofcow one of the most distracting and loudest noises emanating from your bathroom is the sound of your toilet flushing. We have found ways to deaden the sound of your toilet flushing.
The secret of making your toilet flush quieter is the toilet fill valve. The only thing you will require is some adhesive. Begin by opening your flush tank to make certain it is clean on the inside.
You will need to use your adhesive around the edges of both the lid and the tank. Once you have finished, simply close the lid. We know the noise of flushing your toilet will be reduced as soon as it is flushed in addition to when refilling after being flushed.
Soundproofing the Toilet Seat
- Can be used as adhesive cabinet bumpers, drawer bumpers for cabinets, cutting board feet, picture frame bumpers, toilet seat bumper pads, cabinet rubber bumpers, adhesive rubber bumper, rubber feet self adhesive.
- Self Adhesive Rubber Clear Bumpers: Quiet, Cushion and Protect Whatever You Need.
You will need to use one on the seat of your toilet where the cover comes in contact with the tank when it is lifted. We recommend using a second pad on the underside of your toilet seat cover. Make certain you place several more pads between the seat and the toilet.
Wrapping Noisy Pipes in Sound Dampening Material
If your bathroom pipes are not fastened to the wall securely, your pipes may be vibrating due to the water flow. This will make some noise in your bathroom. Decreasing your water pressure is a decent temporary solution. This can be accomplished with a low flow tap and showerhead.
We have found the best option for much quieter pipes is the use of insulation on your pipes. One of the best materials for absorbing sound is mass loaded vinyl. You will need some professional help to wrap your pipes in soundproofing material.
This is because for your plumbing to be wrapped effectively, it will need to be exposed. This means the drywall will need to be torn down.
Additional Tips for Soundproofing
- Sturdy metal and plastic components reinforce stabilility of unit. NOTE: Fits over standard sized doors.
- Hangs over the door creating extra room for storage and organization
Sealing Cracks and Gaps
Quieting Rattling Pipes
- Price For: Each Item: Pipe Insulation Tape Color: Black Material: NBR Polymeric Foam For Use On: Pipes, Ductwork Standards: ASTM C-177 Temp. Range: -20 Degrees to 180 Degrees F Width: 2" Length: 30 ft. Country of Origin (subject to change): United States
Final Tips for Soundproofing the Bathroom
You do not need to spend a lot of money to soundproof your bathroom. Even doing something small such as sealing up any cracks and gaps will make a big difference.
If you find the noises coming from your bathroom a nuisance, use our tips above. You will be able to notice the difference.