Some of us will spend a lot of our lives enduring snoring from the ones we love the most. Although we have an unwavering love for our partner, snoring can take a heavy toll causing insomnia and fatigue.
Before I provide you recommendations on how to use noise blockers for sound cancellation, I’ll like to enlighten you about the subject. I’ll be sharing some helpful products that are equipped to mask or muffle the sounds of snoring.
(EDITOR: PLACE AFFILIATE LINKS FOR THIS BULLETED LIST)
- Wrap-a-Nap sleep mask
- MOITA headphones
- Acoustic Wireless SleepPhones
- LectroFan by Adaptive Sound Technologies
- Vanzon White Noise Machine
- Taotronics Humidifier
Additionally, I’ve included some exercises and techniques to reduce and permanently alleviate the problem.
THE CAUSES OF SNORING
Snoring stems from airway obstruction and can be caused by a variety of reasons.
- Mouth Anatomy. A narrowed airway can block the path of airflow. A soft palate causes narrowed airways at the roof of your mouth. When the soft palates in the back of your throat relax too much, it causes a partial airway blockage and vibrates, creating the snoring.
- Alcohol. Consuming too much alcohol can contribute to the relaxation of throat muscles. It assists in airway blockage by reducing the body’s defense against it.
- Certain Sleeping Positions. There is a higher chance of snoring frequency if you sleep on your back because gravity narrows your throat’s airway.
- Sinuses or Nasal Issues. Snoring worsens when we’re ill. Consult with your physician if your sinuses and nostrils are unusually troublesome.
COMMON HEALTH CAUSES
Although snoring is quite frequent, it can become a severe threat and health risk if you have one of these conditions.
Sleep apnea is described as a sleep disorder that affects your breathing. Breathing starts and stops continuously, and the chances of choking increases, the longer you’re without air. Airflow is temporary obstructed, but a longer duration can become a potentially risky situation.
Sleep apnea is one of the most common causes of snoring. Symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Choking or gasping in sleep
- Severe daytime sleepiness and insomnia
- Unusual loud snoring
- Dry and painful throat upon awakening
- Irritable mood and headaches
Some of us have our tonsils removed during childhood to prevent the potential occurrence of tonsillitis. When tonsils are inflamed, they become swollen, sore, and tender, which results in tonsillitis. Since the lymphatic tissue is expendable, it is often removed in our childhood.
However, tonsillitis is a highly common reason for snoring for those who have not removed their tonsils. There are two tonsils at the back of our throat. But the nasopharyngeal tonsil or adenoid is responsible for the heightened sound of snoring. It is located at the end of the nasal cavity.
So, there are a pair of tonsils in the back of our throat and the adenoid. Once they are inflamed, they could swell up and obstruct the throat, causing choking, which is extremely dangerous.
Luckily, tonsil removal is a simple procedure. Fun fact, the adenoid can grow back. Therefore, there is a possibility that you may need to have surgery more than once. The perpetual growth of the adenoid is a reason why some adults still snore, although they’ve had their tonsil removed as a child.
SIMPLE TIPS AND TRICKS TO ELIMINATE SNORING
Although there isn’t one anecdote to solve your significant other snoring problems, hopefully, throughout this article, you’ve grasped a few ideas and techniques that will keep you optimistic.
Before investing in noise-reducing merchandise, you can speak with your partner about implementing some of these strategies to decrease their snoring.
- If they’re a heavy alcohol drinker, consuming less would be a great start. Smoking also has a negative effect on our breathing and overall health. Lessing these activities would be highly beneficial in the long run.
- The nasal cavity is a big part of snoring, so maintaining a clean sinus may have a positive effect.
- Change sleeping positions. Prevent your partner from sleeping on their back. Sleeping on the side is better for snoring. Some people even use pillows as support to keep them from turning on their backs at night.
These are effortless methods to use that may help with snoring. Since these are potential fixes, let’s get into some ways that can cancel out the loud sound of snoring.
5 WAYS TO BLOCK OUT SNORING
You’ve tried everything, but your partners snoring is still unbearable? Well, you’re in luck because there are many ways to combat the noisiness of snoring.
1.TRY NOISE-CANCELING EARMUFFS
One of the most common things we do to reduce sounds is to cover our ears. You can use a comfortable noise-reducing earmuff to increase your chances of a successful snooze.
I recommend the 2-in-1 sleep mask and earmuff. The Wrap-a-Nap is equipped to decrease light and reduce all sound. The patent design is portable and can roll into a 5×5 structure, which makes it easy to attach to your backpack purse or luggage.
If you’re aren’t quite into earmuffs and a sleep mask isn’t your style, then read on to see my other recommendations.
2.USE HEADPHONES OR EARBUDS
Some people find it easier to snooze while listening to music. If you enjoy a fine-tune to unwind, here is my top recommendation. MOITA sleep mask headphones. It consists of a 3D design, Hi-Fi speakers, and Bluetooth making it not just appropriate for sleep but the gym and traveling as well.
However, if you desire headphones that are explicitly designed to sleep, try Acoustic Wireless SleepPhones. It comes with thin built-in speakers that allow you to comfortably listen to white noise, the sound of rain, or whatever helps you to relax.
3.WHITE NOISE MACHINE
Enhance your sleep with a white noise machine. Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan is highly rated with ten noise variations. It’s a simple white noise machine that comes with a sleep timer to complement your desire for day and nighttime relaxation.
White noise apps are also available to download for those of you that prefer simplicity. Just plug in your noise-reducing earphones and doze off.
4.WHITE NOISE FAN
A white noise fan can create both noise reduction and a cooling factor. White noise fans help you fall asleep by cloaking the sound of snoring. If you like unwinding with a slight whirring sound, then I recommend the Vanzon White Noise Machine.
It comes with a total of 36 sounds and is suitable for both kids and adults. Traveling? No problem. It’s light and compact so you can easily carry it along inside a purse, bag, suitcase, etc.
5. SLEEP with an AIR HUMIDIFIER
Nasal problems contribute to a dry nose and throat, which provoke snoring. The benefits of an air humidifier include:
- It helps keep your nostrils and throat moist by releasing cool moisture into the atmosphere. Some air humidifiers also let you add oils. Who doesn’t love aromatherapy?
- It sounds like white noise. Some humidifiers come with a small whirring sound. The whirring sound can help give the same benefits as a white noise fan.
If you’re looking for complete silence, there are other quiet humidifiers that offer the same humidity experience. The Taotronics Humidifier is a bestseller and is described as “whisper-quiet.” It’s perfect for a baby’s room, nursery, or anywhere where peace and serenity are a necessity.
With a duration of 12-30 hours, it gives you a long-lasting mist ensuring irresistible tranquility.
If your partner’s snoring is still problematic, although you’ve followed these methods and tried to block the sound, you should consult with a healthcare professional. Your doctor should give a physical assessment to determine the underlying problem.
Also, people who snore should consider implementing exercise into their daily routine. Exercise has incredible benefits that will ultimately enhance both you and your partner’s sleep.
Incorporating mouth exercises can lead to a reduction in the vibrating soft tissue palates of the throat. By doing so, while you’re sleeping, it’ll decrease the chances of snoring that results from the loose tissue. Here are some helpful exercises you can include in your daily routine:
- Massage the roof of your mouth with your tongue. Move it back and forward and repeat 10-20 times.
- Open your mouth and move your jaw around, holding a position for about 30 seconds.
- Reciting vowel sounds aloud with full mouth motions.
- Put your tongue behind your incisors and move it backward a few times each day.
- You can also try singing. Singing strengthens the soft palate muscles, which decreases snoring.
Your physician may even recommend a preventive snoring device before taking further action. Some devices are also known to help with sleep apnea. If the CPAP machine doesn’t do the trick, then looking into surgical procedures should be a possibility.
However, the good news is, most patients could eliminate or decrease their snoring by merely exercising.
Hopefully, within this article, you’ve found a solution to help solve your problems with snoring. Remember that although it is quite common, you don’t have to live with the uncomfortability. If your partner’s snoring is still intolerable after trying out these tips, speak with your healthcare physician.
Once you fix the problem, you’ll get better sleep throughout the night, which leads to a happier partner in the day. Snoring doesn’t have to interrupt your life. So, invest in your health, you’ll soon be grateful that you did.