- Foam Rubber Padding;
- Memory Foam Carpet;
- Soundproof Insulation;
- Mass Loaded Vinyl;
- Acoustic Caulk;
- Acoustic Foam Tiles;
- Soundproof Blanket;
- Soundproof Curtains;
Improve Your Game Room’s AcousticsThere can be a lot of factors involved in having a high-quality gaming session. While the majority of these will focus on the game itself and the console that you’re using, there are a few external things that will play into this. One of the most notable of these is making sure that you’re able to hear everything right. However, this is where the problem of noise comes in. While you’ll want to hear everything at a certain volume, neighbors and other family members more than likely will not. However, this doesn’t mean that you’ll have to lower the volume or wait until everybody’s gone away. Instead, there are a few things that you should to do help with this. Some can be more effective than others, so you might need to use several of them to soundproof your game room.
Soft Household ItemsThe acoustics of a room will play quite a large role in how loud your gaming system is. As a result, hard surfaces are best left avoided, as these will typically amplify the sound that’s being generated. However, there are a few ways around this, with soft household items being the most prominent. This should mean that you’ll have to install materials that will absorb the sound from your gaming system. The first of these should be a carpet or rug that’s quite thick, with a memory foam rug being highly recommended in this regard.
Lazy Dog Warehouse Neoprene Sponge Foam Rubber Sheet Rolls 15in x 60in (3/8in Thick)
- WATERPROOF & NON-ABSORBENT – Made from Neoprene Sponge Foam, this material is specifically made and designed to repel liquids and odors. Perfect for high traffic areas such as auto, garage, and kitchen areas.
- PROTECTIVE – The thick dense sponge foam is perfect for providing cushion or padding. Easy and economical solution for sealing or insulation projects. Great for noise insulation and sound vibration reduction.
RYB HOME 3-in-1 Noise – Blackout – Thermal Insulation Window Curtains, Inside Detachable Felt Liner for Noise Reduce/Sunlight Block for Daytime Sleep/Bedroom, White, Wide 52 x Long 84 in, 1 Pair
- 3 LAYERS – Package includes 2 panels total width 104 inch. 1 layer in front (pure white), 1 layer in back(grayish white) & 1 detachable felt fabric lining in the middle. No Toxic & formaldehyde.
- NOISE REDUCTION – Detachable felt fabric liner is in the middle of the 3 layers, which can absorb annpying noise. 3 Layers make it possible to maximum dampen noise and create peaceful environment.
Moving BlanketsMoving blankets are items that many people may not think of when they’re soundproofing any room. While these are typically used when moving furniture from house to house, hence the name, they can also be called soundproof blankets as they have quite a large sound dampening effect.
Audimute Sound Absorption Sheet Sound – Dampening Blanket – Soundproofing Sheet (Bone)
- Effective for sound absorption (0.85 NRC Rating), NOT for blocking sound
- Improves sound quality in a room by reducing sound echoes and reverberation
Acoustic ProductsOne of the most effective ways of soundproofing a game room is to place acoustic foam products on the walls of the room. There are quite a large number of them that you can choose between, although the majority of them will work in the same way.
Eanpet Soft Tatami Mat 5′ x 7′ Area Rug Pad Non-Slip Memory Foam Carpet Large Playmats for Kids Crawling Mat Anti-Skid Doormats Living Room Bedroom Mat Women Gym Mat (Grey)
- SIZE: 59″ * 79″
- MATERIAL:Thicken Short Velvet. Makes sure your living area stays clean, quick to dry and free of moisture.
Loctite PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive 10-Ounce Cartridge – 1390595 (Packaging May Vary)
- Polyurethane based, moisture-curing adhesive
- Low VOC content: Meets stringent state and federal regulatory requirements
Blocking Out The SoundWhile each of the above will be quite helpful in reducing the noise that escapes your gaming room, they may not actually soundproof it. While the acoustic foam products and memory foam carpet will have quite a significant impact, you may often need to do somewhat more than this.
JBER Acoustic Sound Foam Panels, 24 Pack 2″ X 12″ X 12″ Charcoal Soundproofing Treatment Studio Wall Padding Sound Absorbing Fireproof Pyramid Black Wall Panel
- Great for spot treating sound on walls in your studio or office – For use in recording studios, control rooms, Offices home studios, home entertainment theaters, Home Offices.
- 24 Pack Covers 24 Square Feet – Each tile is 1 square foot of 2 inch thick acoustic wedge. COMES ONE THIRD COMPRESSED.
Find The Right VolumeFinding the right volume for your gaming system may seem as though it’s an obvious step, the number of people who might overlook it can be astounding. As such, it’s something that you should consider looking at, especially if it’s bothering other people in your home, as well as your neighbors. Alongside being able to avoid any arguments because of the noise, there are a few other benefits to turning down the volume somewhat. The most notable of these is that you’ll be able to avoid any damage to your hearing. This is something that many people might overlook but could be beneficial long-term.
Move The Game StationWhere your gaming station is located could prove to have a large impact on how much noise it generates and who this noise bothers. If it’s placed against a wall that’s shared with somebody else, then you may need to move it to another location. This should mean that they’ll hear the noise much less than before. You could also consider moving large pieces of furniture up against any shared walls, which should help to dampen the amount of noise that people on the other side will hear. However, this will mainly be seen if you move couches and bookcases against these walls, although it can still be well-recommended. The main reason that this works is that adding mass to any wall should reduce the amount of sound that’s able to travel through it. This should mean that the majority of large pieces of furniture will work. Despite this, it’s still recommended that you place a certain amount of soundproof acoustic foam or other products on the wall. Layers can be one of the most notable ways of soundproofing a game room, so the more of these you have, the better. In many cases, it could take several tries to make sure that you have the right number of layers for your game room.
Professional Soundproofing TechniquesIf you find that each of the above methods has failed to soundproof your game room adequately, then you may need to consider using professional techniques. However, these might not be as difficult to implement as you might think, as the majority of them typically involves placing certain materials on your walls.
TMS Mass Loaded Vinyl 4′ X 10′ (40 sf) 1 Lb MLV Soundproofing Barrier. Highest Quality!
- Best Seller, SUPER HEAVY – Made in the USA!
- 1/8 of an inch thick – 27 STC – Highest Quality!
12 Pack Acoustic Foam Panels Soundproofing Studio Foam Wedge Tiles Fireproof 2″ X 12″ X 12″
- Professional, High Quality Durability and Effective
- 12 Pack covers 12 square feet – Each tile is 1 square foot of 1 inch thick acoustic wedge
Sashco 10016 10.5oz 10016 Big Stretch Caulk 10.5-Ounce Cartridge, White
- Big stretch caulk, 10.5 oz., white – 1028277
- This is highly durable