Best Automotive Sound Deadening Materials 2020
Is your car rattling constantly? Are you bothered by the persistent irritations of wind, road, tire, and vibration-based noises in the cab of your car?
These aren’t just harmless annoyances that should be overlooked. Over time, these slight frustrations can actually cause low-grade hearing damage in professional drivers and truckers. Yet no matter who you are, it’s a worthwhile to try and achieve a completely silent drive on your morning commute.
Car noise may impede your ability to focus on the road, make conversation more difficult, or reduce the quality of your radio’s noise output. Thankfully, with just a little bit of elbow grease, there are tons of options for those looking to reduce the noise inside their car.
What’s Important to Consider When Buying Automotive Sound Deadening Materials?
When you’re investing in sound deadening material, it’s important to recognize that not all materials are made the same. Before buying, you’ll want to consider the size of your vehicle and what other benefits you’d like to achieve.
Owners of small to mid-size cars don’t have to shell out an extra hundred dollars on extra square feet that they’ll never use. Make sure to find a manufacturer that offers smaller sizes and options for compact cars; typically, 30 to 40 square feet of material will go a long way in reducing noise in the cabin. Larger vehicles may require over 80 square feet of material.
In addition to sound muffling, many materials offer extra protections such as insulation, vibration reduction, and crush resistance. Butyl rubber is well-regarded as an excellent sound deadener and insulator; it’s very common for materials to have a butyl base that is coated in sound deflecting aluminum foil. For the best sound and insulation achieved, make sure to opt for materials that are 80 mil thick or larger.
Review of The Best Automotive Sound Deadening Materials of 2020
1. Noico 80 Mil 36 Sq. Ft Sound Deadening Car Mat
- The best price for 80 mil automotive butyl and foil sound deadening on Amazon! Noico 80 mil is just $ 1.77 per 1 sqft! You are not just buying an excellent quality product but also saving more than 20 % comparing to Gtmat, Boom Mat and Extreme! It turns out to be more cost-effective solution than such brands as Dynamat Xtreme, Hushmat and Stinger RoadKill as well!
- Don’t miss a chance to get an extra 50 % of the quality and efficiency for just 25 % of the price. Now the material is 1,5 times thicker that will get you 1,5 times more effective insulation. Noico 80 mil is 1,5 times better in comparison to sound deadening material of 50 mil and just 25 % more expensive. The thicker the material the more performance you get!
Compared to Gtmat, Boom Mat and Extreme, the Noico sound deadening car mat provides savings of over 20 percent – it’s a mere $1.77 per square foot of material. Hands down, it’s the best price for 80 mil of automotive butyl and foil sound muffling material.
Recently, the Noico brand has made the foil more than 1.5 times as thick, meaning that it can achieve magnitudes more effective sound reduction in the car. The thicker, more durable material serves to absorb sound rather than reflect in the body of the vehicle, leaving the cab as quiet as possible.
Additionally, the self-adhesive side consists of butyl, which has a sound deadening weight of 0.7 pounds per square foot. To put it simply, this means that the maximal sound insulation is being achieved relative to the weight of the product.
The audio insulation material even comes with an indicator that visually demonstrates whether or not the product has been installed properly. Users merely need to roll out the special embossed surface of the butyl until is free of air bubbles, ensuring the maximum sound deadening effect.
The Noico mat comes with a stack of nine folded sheets that measure 29.5 inches by 19.5 inches, making one sheet suitable for the bed of any standard sized vehicle. The total coverage area is 36 square feet. Consumers should keep in mind that the roller is not included with purchase of the Noico Mat.
According to consumers, the Noico mat works by changing the resonant frequency of the sound waves penetrating the car’s cab. Even just twenty five to fifty percent coverage of the car’s interior is enough to reduce the noise of wind noise, component rattling, and high pitch gear shifts.
2. Second Skin Damplifier Pro Sound Deadening Mat
- AUTOMOTIVE SOUND DEADENING MATERIAL: Damplifier Pro auto sound deadening material will deaden metal and stop structural noise to give any car a luxury feel. Used for car audio, hot rods, trucks, Jeeps, RVs – anywhere metal rattles.
- BUTYL RUBBER SHEET: We recommend a butyl sound deadener. Every sound deadening mat has some combination of rubber and other fillers, such as asphalt. It’s cheaper to use asphalt, but we avoid it due to health concerns.
The Damplifier Pro deadening mat provides a cost effective, durable solution to the persistent problem of sound reduction in automobiles. Unwanted vibrations and component rattling can be a persistent annoyance, especially as a vehicle gets older.
The Damplifier self-adhesive sound mat is crafted from premium butyl rubber and a thick foil constraint layer, providing maximal sound reduction inside the cab. The rubber-base butyl is flame retardant, withstanding the high temperatures that can build up over the course of a long drive.
Additionally, the 80 mil (2 millimeter) thickness, which weighs 0.7 pounds per square foot, is ample enough to assure the user that most mechanical and road noises will be completely muffled. The manufacturers ensure that the Damplifier deadens noise from any sheet metal, whether it’s aluminum or prepared fiberglass.
Each sheet is 12 inches by 20 inches (1.67 square feet). Some customers would prefer to have smaller pre-cut pieces for smaller areas, since the material is hard and somewhat unsafe to cut on one’s own.
Online, the Damplifier website provides instructional material to guide you through a proper installation of the material. If you’re new to sound deadening vehicles, it’s important to get the job done right by no leaving any air bubbles in between the Damplifier and the application surface.
Some of the instructional material includes recommended sizes to buy to fit the square footage of your car, making it more convenient than ever to use the Damplifier sound deadening mat.
3. Car Insulation Sound Deadener and Heat Barrier Mat
- Car Insulation – Thermal Sound Deadener 40 Sqft – Lightweight Automotive Heat Barrier
- Controls Heat, Reduces Unwanted Sound, & Minimizes Vibrations
There’s no worse combination than a cold car interior that amplifies every rattling sound. That’s where the Car Insulation sound deadener comes in built with a lightweight heat barrier, the thermal sound deadener controls sources of noise, vibrations, and thermal fluctuations at all times of year.
Providing over 40 square feet of material, the extremely flexible material is suitable for just about any mid-size to large sedan or SUV. According to the manufacturer, the insulation materials blocks 97 percent of radiant heat and cold, making it perfect for both hot summers and cold winters.
Moreover, the material is highly crush resistant: the polyethylene closed cell is reinforced with a foam core that keeps the material durable for several years.
The product is just one 120 inch by 48 inch by 0.2 inch thick sheet that can be cut and customized in any way the user sees fit. The polished aluminum surface is malleable; however, it doesn’t create any ambient or crinkling noise on its own.
Users prefer the aluminum since it’s dead-simple to cut and install on their own. The material does not create any debris or dangerous metal slivers when directly cut, making it appropriate to handle with bare hands. Additionally, you can even buy customized sizes of the material through the manufacturer’s website.
Users should be aware that there is no adhesive on the car deadening material, so you will have find your own spray adhesive, foil tape, or double sided tape to keep the material put.
4. Uxcell Car Cell Foam
- Uxcell Lightweight Sofe Muffler Cotton Excellent for sealing against water and air ingress. It has a very low weight, oil and petrol resistant.
- The material used is an excellent insulator! The sound deadener material allows you to deal with both, cold and the heat. This is especially important in hot climate areas. Well-insulated interior is a pledge of high comfort while in vehicle. Liner heat shield material will solve the problem of excessive heating if your car is equipped with a powerful engine and enhanced exhaust system. It is also easy to use Liner as the hood insulation (hoodliner).
The Uxcell lightweight sole muffler cotton is a superb choice for sealing your vehicle against both noise and water, as well as air ingress and oil. Featuring excellent insulation, the sound deadener allows for the user to deal with any number of temperature fluctuations in the summer and winter.
Providing a liner heat shielded material, the Uxcel cell foam completely solves the issue of excess heat and cool in the body of the car. The shield will solve the malignant heating issues caused by powerful engine’s enhanced exhaust system producing excess heat.
It’s recommended to install the sound deadening mat to the hood, ceiling, door, cockpit floor, tailgate, firewall, front fender, and wheels of the vehicle in order to maximize sound proofing.
Moreover, the material is waterproof and moisture wicking, keeping the car protected against condensation and rain while remaining durable. It is incredibly easy and safe to cut, making it perfect for customized jobs. In addition to working for vehicles, the material is safe to install in condos, apartments, classrooms, and factories.
The material is guaranteed to substantially reduce the noise of engines, tire whine, road noise, wind noise, and overall sound quality. The material comes in the size of 6.46 square feet (40 inches by 24 inches) at 8 millimeters.
5. SECURA THE ORIGINAL TEA KETTLE
- Set of Five 18 inch wide x 40 inch long Sheets Self-Adhesive RattleTrap (25 Sq Ft Total) with Install Kit Consisting of Easy Instructions, Roller, Knife, and FatMat Sound Control Decal
- 80 mil nominal thickness with Patented “Super-Stick” Adhesive
The Fatmat self adhesive rattle trap comes with a set of five 18 inch by 40 inch sheets that includes a roller, knife, and Fatmat sound control decal. The 80 mil thickness is crafted with a patented “super stick” technology, that is guaranteed to provide an airtight seal and last for years after installation.
Featuring a vibrational damper, the mat is able to reduce distortion and boost bass. The material is pliable, easy to cut, and coated in a heat resistant aluminum mold. Interestingly, the mat is crafted to amplify the sound of music and conversation while keeping external noise out. This may make the material appropriate for overly quiet radios or those who are hard of hearing.
Most users are extremely satisfied with the Fatmat; however, many note that it is somewhat difficult to install and may require using some heat use (from a hair dryer) to achieve an airtight seal.
No matter the size of your vehicle, there are tons of custom sizing options you can select for the Fatmat. The smallest size is the 25 square feet option, while the largest is sized at 200 square feet.